"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
- Lao Tzu
Why I Blog And Why Should You Care



March 25, 2009

I Heart iGoogle: simplify your online experience with iGoogle

No, I'm not getting paid to post this.

Like with everything else it's easy to have e-clutter. You know, tons of bookmarks, RSS feeds, e-mail, social networking sites. I've been guilty of this for years. I was spending too much time online when all I really wanted to accomplish was a few targeted tasks.

So I started looking around for landing pages - I've tried a couple that I liked for a bit but it just had too many features and options. It just ended up being cluttered. It was defeating the purpose.

First thing I did was delete my social networking accounts including MySpace and Facebook. Then I got rid of old unused bookmarks.
I whittled down my RSS feeds to the ones I read regularly.
I started the process of cleaning my e-mail account (this one's a real doozie).

Then I gave iGoogle a shot.The modules I currently have on it are:
  • Gmail (I can check and send mail directly from here.
  • My feed reader: All my RSS feeds can be viewed here as well
  • Google notebook: for jotting down ideas
  • Google Bookmarks
  • A couple of newsfeeds from NPR and CNN
  • Youtube (I can search and watch videos without leaving iGoogle)
  • a clock (I like to keep track of how much time I'm spending online)
  • and a Sticky Note (I put my daily online to do list on here and delete it as I go)
So using the tools I've mentioned above, I've been able to streamline my online activities. The good thing about this is that you can fully customize it to your own needs. So you don't necessarily have to have the same tools I have, just figure out what's best for your setup.

Related article from NPR that may be of interest to you if you like this post: E-Fatigue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin